Mormon bishop in Ohio dies in scouting rappelling accident
An LDS Bishop killed in Ohio is being remembered by Utahns as well for his service and friendship.
Authorities say Tim Watabe was with his Boy Scout troop rappelling at Hocking Hills State Park on Saturday, when he fell and was pronounced dead on the scene.
“The very fact that it was a Boy Scout activity shows how he was always serving,” said Logan resident Barry Hemline, who met Watabe at BYU in the mid-90s and remained friends.
Hemline says tributes are coming in from Utah, California, Japan and Ohio.
“It’s classic Tim, even in passing, he draws people together,” said Hemline.
Funeral arrangements are pending. Watabe had a wife and four children.
The GoFundMe page is here
Today’s Top Stories
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend
- Interactive map shows where fireworks are off-limits in Utah
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito