Mormon bishop in Ohio dies in scouting rappelling accident
An LDS Bishop killed in Ohio is being remembered by Utahns as well for his service and friendship.
Authorities say Tim Watabe was with his Boy Scout troop rappelling at Hocking Hills State Park on Saturday, when he fell and was pronounced dead on the scene.
“The very fact that it was a Boy Scout activity shows how he was always serving,” said Logan resident Barry Hemline, who met Watabe at BYU in the mid-90s and remained friends.
Hemline says tributes are coming in from Utah, California, Japan and Ohio.
“It’s classic Tim, even in passing, he draws people together,” said Hemline.
Funeral arrangements are pending. Watabe had a wife and four children.
The GoFundMe page is here
Today’s Top Stories
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case
- Senate passes bill to protect same-sex and interracial marriage in landmark vote
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Chinese President Xi Jinping tells troops to focus on ‘preparing for war’
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Layton man taken into custody for allegedly recording women in restroom