Police identify family found in apparent murder-suicide in Mapleton
MAPLETON – We’re learning more about the family that was found in an apparent murder-suicide. Investigators say the family had not lived in the area for long.
Police were called to the home on State Route 89 last night after a concerned neighbor asked police to check on the family. Mapleton Police Chief John Jackson says, “He hadn’t seen them for a while. He hadn’t seen their cars move for a while.” Plus, Jackson says one of their bosses also called because they hadn’t shown up for work.
Jackson says the officers tried to make contact with the people inside, but failed. He says, “It was at that point that they put it all together and said, ‘We feel we need to go in and check on them.’ So they removed a window, went into the home and found four deceased bodies inside and a deceased dog.”
Inside were Timothy and Jessica Griffith, her daughter Samantha Badel, 16, and their son, five-year old Alexandre. They just moved to Mapleton from Switzerland after he found work. Jackson says they had never seen any problems with this family before. “We want to learn more about these people. This investigation will take weeks and weeks. Our detectives will spend a lot of time digging into the background and trying to put this all together,” Jackson says.
Badel was a sophomore at Maple Mountain High School, and school district officials will provide services to the students who need them. Jackson says this will be hard for the whole town to deal with. “It’s going to rick our community. It’s going to tear some people up because these people up here care about each other.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Child found minutes after AMBER Alert issued, suspect still outstanding
- Here’s why some stop signs will be removed in Cottonwood Heights
- Men without college degrees leaving the workforce, according to new study
- West Jordan Elementary School is closing its gates after 40 years
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- S.L. County D.A. declines to charge two officers in shooting, arrest
- Man arrested for alleged theft of large amount of diesel fuel
- Two-vehicle crash on westbound I-80 creates heavy delays
- Families of Hunter High shooting victims unhappy with plea deal
- How to to keep your poinsettias healthy this winter season