Utah Lawmaker gathers signatures to recruit Mitt Romney for Utah senate seat
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah lawmaker is asking for Utah signatures in an attempt to convince Mitt Romney to run for Orrin Hatch’s senate seat.
Announcing the effort in a press conference at the Capitol today, State Senator Dann Hemmert said he’s tired of Washington D.C.’s influence on Utah’s elections.
“This senate seat belongs to Utahns, to Utah voters,” Hemmert said. “We’re here to ask for help. Sign a petition or join a movement to encourage Mitt Romney to run for the U.S. Senate.”
Hemmert passed out clipboards at the conference and announced a website that will gather virtual signatures. You can find that here.
If he ran, Romney would be aiming for Orrin Hatch’s spot in the Senate- a position he’s filled since 1976. Hatch has implied he might be willing to step aside if Romney takes the position, but hasn’t announced any actual plans to retire.
Today’s Top Stories
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one
- One person in critical condition after Sunday night shooting
- Double stabbing sends grandmother and grandson to the hospital
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: Photos of topless women at U of U football game who may face charges
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Semi driver dies after driving off side of roadway
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors