Corrections officer arrested for allegedly enticing a minor
FARMINGTON – A correctional officer at the Utah State Prison was arrested Monday for allegedly trying to meet up with a 13-year-old boy for sex.
Ross M. Cameron, 35, of Sandy was booked into jail on two counts of enticing a minor. Police say he made several attempts to set up a meeting with a 13-year-old boy to engage in sexual acts.
On October 31 Cameron allegedly sent a message which said “I (sic) probably get in trouble talking to you haha,” and later in the conversation wrote, “I just want to make sure your (sic) not like a cop or something haha.”
The report states the 13-year-old boy was actually a police officer.
On November 7th the officer was allegedly reached out to by Cameron again.
Cameron met with investigators and stated that he did have conversations with someone he thought to be a 13-year-old boy according to a probable cause report.
Cameron has been with the Utah Department of Corrections for two years. According to Correction spokesperson Maria Peterson, he was working as an officer at the Utah State Prison at the time of his arrest.
“The department provided him with a letter of intent to terminate his employment (Tuesday), which will be subject to a required appeals process as set by the Department of Human Resource Management,” she said.
Today’s Top Stories
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- Breaking: 5-year-old child in critical condition after being hit by truck
- Deputies say evidence pointing to homicide likely in case of Dylan Rounds
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Gov. Cox appoints John Luthy to the Utah State Court of Appeals
- Church leader speaks of caring for the earth at Why It Matters conference
- Moab plans to investigate police interaction with Gabby Petito, fiancé
- Two men accused of stealing dying piglets from Utah farm face charges
- University of Utah researchers unveil Utah Bionic Leg