Did Hatch read scathing editorial? His critics believe not, but his spokesman says yes
WASHINGTON D.C. – Utah’s senior senator is facing a lot of criticism after appearing to thank the Salt Lake Tribune for a dubious honor. His critics say he likely didn’t read the editorial, but his spokesman say is pushing back against those claims.
The picture on the Salt Lake Tribune shows Orrin Hatch with the caption, “Utahn Of The Year.” However, the op-ed was not flattering at all. It accused Hatch of having a “lack of integrity that rises from his unquenchable thirst for power.”
Salt Lake Tribune Editorial Page Editor George Pyle appeared on CNN, saying Hatch has “lost his moorings.” He adds, “He used to be a reliable vote in favor of the Dream Act, helping children who had come here illegally as children to find a legal way to stay here.”
Pyle also criticizes Hatch for staying in office for as long as he has. He says the senator made promises he wouldn’t run for office, then changed his mind. “Everybody who could have mounted a credible campaign, whether to challenge or succeed Senator Hatch has basically been frozen out.”
After seeing the picture, Hatch tweeted he was “grateful” for the honor.
This sparked a lot of criticism against him from people who believe he hadn’t actually read the article. Matt Whitlock, a spokesman for Senator Hatch issued the following statement.
Whitlock also posted…
Pyle says these statements don’t address any of the points addressed in the editorial.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Man wanted for leaving a dead fish at ‘The Goonies’ house saved by Coast Guard…
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…