Thousands attend viewing for LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson
SALT LAKE CITY – Officials with The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints estimate more than ten thousand people came to the Conference Center for the viewing of President Thomas S. Monson. It’s their last chance to pay their respects before his funeral, tomorrow.
After seeing President Thomas S. Monson in repose on a balcony level lobby inside the Conference Center, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints looked back on his legacy. Some church members say his life is the kind they strive to have. One woman says, “It’s just been a wonderful experience to come and remember his life. It’s given me a chance to think about the way that I’m living my life.”
Others shared personal memories of President Monson. One man looks back on how he converted into the church, and President Monson was a large influence on him. ‘He’s the one who signed my letter for my mission call to serve in Siberia,” he says.
Some say they’ve loved hearing from President Monson ever since they were young. “His talks, his words and his actions, I was struck by, especially. Every time he spoke, I listened intently and closely,” one man says
However, everyone who came felt it was important for them to be there. One woman says, “It was a touching moment to come and say goodbye to him.” Another says, “To me, it’s like the past page in the book.”
The funeral will be held at the Conference Center tomorrow at noon.
Today’s Top Stories
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one
- One person in critical condition after Sunday night shooting
- Double stabbing sends grandmother and grandson to the hospital
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: Photos of topless women at U of U football game who may face charges
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Crash in Vernon closes Highway 36