Funeral Services Friday for LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson
More than 31 thousand people came to President Monson’s public viewing at the Conference Center on Thursday, and on Friday, more are expected in downtown for his funeral.
The funeral will begin at noon.
Seating in the Conference Center (which seats 21,000 people) will be open on a first-come, first-served basis. The building will open at 10:30 a.m.
Those who attend the funeral services must be seated no later than 11:30 a.m. Overflow seating with large-screen viewing of the proceedings will be offered in the adjacent Tabernacle, Assembly Hall and Conference Center Theater.
You can hear coverage here on KSL Newsradio beginning at 11 a.m, with special coverage both before an after the funeral.
Church office buildings on the Temple Square campus will be closed throughout the day.
President Monson will be buried in the Salt Lake Cemetery today alongside eleven other LDS Church Presidents.
Keeping with tradition, the procession route for President Monson will be along South Temple.
It will leave the Conference Center, heading east on North Temple, and will then turn right on to State Street. It will stay on State Street for a block, and then head east on South Temple until N Street, where it will turn left.
From there it is just a little more than five blocks to the Salt Lake City Cemetery.
Today’s Top Stories
- Semifinalists for the new Utah flag design unveiled
- Two-vehicle crash involving a semi closes Highway 138 on Friday
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- New fire breaks out on Y Mountain in Provo
- BYU student and youngest-ever Survivor contestant says he’s confident he will win
- Be on lookout for suspicious vehicle in Nephi
- Former U.S. Attorney for Utah talks about what FBI can take off your cellphone
- Motorhome crash in Box Elder County claims the life of one person
- Time Out on the Field
- BYU premieres documentary ‘The Black 14: Healing Hearts and Feeding Souls’