17 year old babysitter blamed in death of toddler
WEST VALLEY — A teenage babysitter is facing blame for the death of a toddler in his care yesterday.
Roxeanne Vainuku, spokesperson for the West Valley City Police Department, said they were called to 21 month-old Jaycieion Sanchez home yesterday around noon when the toddler stopped breathing. A helicopter transported the boy to a nearby hospital where he passed away.
“Our investigators started looking around and asking questions,” Vainuku said, adding that the toddler’s injuries didn’t match his babysitter’s story to police, “They ended up arresting the 17 year old for investigation of child abuse homicide.”
Police aren’t releasing the name of the teen, but say he is now in juvenile detention, facing suspected charges for child abuse homicide.
Today’s Top Stories
- 12-year-old girl in critical condition after getting hit by parade car in Kaysville
- Manhunt underway for gunman after mass shooting at July 4th parade in Highland Park, Illinois
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- Silver alert activated in American Fork, missing possibly in Wendover
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- UPDATE: SLCPD arrest two in connection to Sunday’s Ballpark neighborhood shooting