WVC fire officials: House fire began spontaneously in microwave

Feb 7, 2018, 8:53 AM

A fire ripped through a West Valley City home Tuesday night, forcing a family of four and three pets to get out.

That fire started around 11:30 pm near 4100 South Spring Glen Street, which is about 3300 West.

Investigators believe it started spontaneously in the microwave and spread through the kitchen and into the attic.

That made the job difficult for firefighters as they had to cut several holes in the roof to attack the flames.

Crews estimate the damage to be about $150-thousand dollars.

Today’s Top Stories

FILE - This photo provided by the North Korean government shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un del...
Yoonjung Seo, Emiko Jozuka, Junko Ogura, Brad Lendon and Simone McCarthy, CNN

Japan issues rare alert as North Korea fires missile without warning over main island

The US Indo-Pacific Command also released a statement saying American commitments to the defense of Japan and South Korea "remain ironclad."
7 hours ago
NWSL...
David Close and Eric Levenson, CNN

Investigation finds systemic abuse, misconduct within women’s professional soccer

The report was based on more than 200 interviews and reveals the National Women's Soccer League failed to provide a safe environment for players.
7 hours ago
(Getty Images)...
Mark Jones

Man in possession of fentanyl pills, heroin arrested at SLC airport

A Weber County man was charged in court after being arrested last week in possession of roughly 4,100 fentanyl pills and 378 dosages of heroin.
1 day ago
Condor...
Mark Jones

DWR officials taking steps to protect California condors

The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources is offering prizes to hunters in the Zion hunting unit to help reduce lead poisoning of the endangered California condors.
1 day ago
dangerous heat study...
Mark Jones

September was the hottest month in Salt Lake City and it wasn’t close

According to KSL meteorologist Kristen Van Dyke, September was the hottest month ever recorded in Salt Lake City.
1 day ago
supreme court pictured, its new term has started and will hear new cases...
Aimee Cobabe

U.S. Supreme Court refuses to hear Utah case involving bump stocks

A Utah court case involving bump stocks will not be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court. The court declined to say why it won't take up the case.
1 day ago

Sponsored Articles

Young woman receiving laser treatment...
Form Derm Spa

How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces

Facial plastic surgery is not only about looking good but about feeling good too. The medical team at Form Spa are trained to help you reach your aesthetic outcomes through surgery and through skincare and dermatology, too.
large group of friends tohether in a park having fun...
BYU MBA at the Marriott School of Business

What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs

Commitment to service is at the heart of BYU’s MBA program, which makes it stand out among other MBA programs across the country.
a worker with a drill in an orange helmet installs a door in the house...
Price's Guaranteed Doors

Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors

Make sure your home is comfortable before the winter! Seasonal maintenance keeps your home up to date. Read our tips on weatherproofing doors.
Curb Appeal...
Price's Guaranteed Doors

How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal

Protect your home and improve its curb appeal with the latest security solutions like beautiful garage doors and increased security systems.
A paper reading IRS, internal revenue service is pictured...
Jordan Wilcox

The best strategies for dealing with IRS tax harassment | You have options!

Learn how to deal with IRS tax harassment. This guide will teach you how to stop IRS phone calls and letters, and how to handle an IRS audit.
spend a day at Bear Lake...
Bear Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau

You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake

Bear Lake is a place that needs to be experienced. Spend a day at Bear Lake.
WVC fire officials: House fire began spontaneously in microwave