Members of LDS Church sustain President Nelson and two new apostles
SALT LAKE CITY – Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints had the opportunity to sustain President Russell M. Nelson this morning. They also saw two new apostles called in Elder Gerrit W. Gong, 64 and Elder Ulisses Soares, 59.
Gong is the first Asian-American called to be an apostle in the church history and Soares the first Latin American apostle.
Gong has been a General Authority since 2010 and Soares has served as a General Authority Seventy since 2005.
These two fill the vacancies left in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles left by the passings of President Thomas S. Monson and Elder Robert D. Hales.
Members also sustained President Dallin H. Oaks as President of the Quorum of the Twelve apostles and President M. Russell Ballard as Acting President.
Today’s Top Stories
- Cottonwood High School wins football game in bizarre fashion
- September was the hottest month in Salt Lake City and it wasn’t close
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- Nations largest pig farm exposed, two face criminal charges
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Storms blast southern Utah, flash flooding possible
- Man in possession of fentanyl pills, heroin arrested at SLC airport
- Day 1 in ‘landmark case’ for animal rights