Car vs. officer leads to shooting in Spanish Fork
SPANISH FORK — A driver is recovering from serious but not life-threatening injuries after an officer-involved shooting in Utah County.
The sheriff’s office says a deputy shot the driver after the driver hit another deputy and ran over his foot early Monday in Spanish Fork.
Officials say the altercation began with police spotting a car they believed was involved in a pursuit on Sunday. Utah County Sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Cannon says that car fled, striking one deputy and running over his foot.
Springville man shot after he runs over Deputy’s foot and hits that Deputy with that car. The suspect is hospitalized. The Deputy is recovering at home. https://t.co/ebC5BU5Pnt
— Spencer Cannon (@SGTCannonPIO) April 9, 2018
The other deputy then fired a shot, hitting the driver in the shoulder.
The sheriff’s office says Wade Willis, 38, was taken first to Mountain View Hospital, then flown to Utah Valley Hospital for treatment.
The deputy who was hit is recovering at home, Cannon says.
— Caitlin Burchill (@newsyCaitlin) April 9, 2018
Police say Willis was well-known to them before the pursuit and shooting overnight. A search of Utah state court documents showed a number of past cases against Willis; many were traffic violations and misdemeanors, but there were felonies on the list as well, including burglary and fleeing from police.
Contributing: Derek Petersen and Caitlin Burchill, KSL TV, and Lindsay Aerts, KSL Newsradio
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?