Teenage boy accused of researching ISIS, planning bombing returns to court
ST. GEORGE – A teenage boy, whom police say wanted to blow up a school, and had been researching ISIS, was back in a Saint George courtroom on Friday.
They add he brought an explosive to Pine View High in March.
The defense attorney argued the device wouldn’t have exploded.
Deputy Washington County Attorney Angela Adams still wants the teenage boy tried as an adult, mostly because of the risk he posed to the community, she said.
An FBI bomb expert testified the smoking backpack the boy allegedly left next to a vending machine could have started a large fire at Pine View High School, which had to evacuate.
“We can prove the two charges that we filed,” Adams said, “one of which is (possession of) a weapon of mass destruction, and the second one being attempted murder.”
No one was hurt. The boy returns to court on Wednesday for another detention hearing.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- Those who practice intermittent fasting less likely to have severe COVID complications,…
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- UDOT to temporarily close Cottonwood Heights I-215 bridge for restoration
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Missing girls from South Jordan found near San Diego
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- Anonymous man pays 12-person dinner bill at Bandit’s Grill and Bar