Construction company in Utah reportedly under federal investigation
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah-based company is reportedly under investigation from federal agencies and the Utah Attorney General’s Office.
Thursday morning, officials from ICE issued a statement confirming their agency, along with representatives of Homeland Security and the Utah Attorney General’s Office, conducted what ICE calls an “enforcement action” in the area.
Since this is an ongoing federal investigation, most of the details of the case are sealed. However, anonymous sources tell KSL that a construction company working on the expansions at Salt Lake International Airport is at the center of the case.
Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes would not confirm that, but he did say, “We did have agents at the airport interviewing potential witnesses.”
Reyes was able to confirm that his office has been receiving a lot of complaints about that company for several months.
“[These include] complaints alleging exploitation of workers, possible human trafficking and labor trafficking, specifically,” Reyes says.
Reyes wants to clarify that his office was not there to simply assist ICE investigators. Reyes says his investigators were at the airport to fulfill their own portion of the overall investigation.
“Our focus is on the business and the leadership of the business, not the workers,” Reyes says.
He says undocumented immigrants are frequently exploited since they’re normally too afraid to come forward.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]