CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Suspect in Colorado Amber Alert arrested in southern Utah
BRIAN HEAD, Garfield County — A man wanted in connection with a Colorado Amber Alert was arrested Monday morning in the mountains of southern Utah.
The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office said David Glenn Freeman, 60, had approached campers asking for food and water late on Sunday night. He was accompanied by a young man.
The campers reported that neither Freeman nor the young man were wearing clothing at the time. Deputies responded to the area but were unable to locate the pair.
On Monday morning, Garfield County dispatch received a call about two naked people walking down the road in the Mammoth Creek area. Deputies again responded. They located the two individuals and confirmed they were Freeman and the 12-year-old boy who was the subject of an Amber Alert issued late Saturday in Saguache County, Colorado.
The Amber Alert said the boy had last been seen at his home around 3 p.m. on Saturday.
Saguache County sits south of Aspen and west of Pueblo. It’s more than 500 road miles away from where deputies located Freeman and the boy along Mammoth Creek.
Mammoth Creek has its headwaters near Brian Head and Cedar Breaks National Monument. It flows to the southeast toward the small town of Hatch on U.S. Highway 89.
Deputies booked Freeman into the Garfield County Jail on suspicion of felony kidnapping and lewdness. In a statement, Garfield County said the boy was taken to the hospital for an evaluation.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense
- Provo Canyon closing intermittently to mitigate rock slides
- A third person has died after a multi-car crash in Box Elder
- Online marriage licensing gets the attention all over the world