New Juan Diego football coach has ties to scandal in Arizona
DRAPER — Juan Diego High School’s new quarterbacks coach comes from Arizona, where he was at the center of a hazing and sexual abuse scandal.
But lack of cooperation from witnesses, including former players, led the Maricopa County attorney to drop the case against Steve Belles, plus his former principal and athletic director at a high school in Chandler, Ariz.
The Arizona Republic reports authorities suspected them of not properly reporting hazing and sexual assault.
Belles led his team to five state championships in ten years before he quit last year.
One of his former players now coaches at Juan Diego in Draper and helped him land his new coaching and teaching job.
Today’s Top Stories
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Hurricane Ian weakens to Category 3 after making landfall in Florida, but officials warn the…
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties
- Researchers using dirty diapers to develop new autism test
- Former KSL NewsRadio talk show host in the path of Hurricane Ian
- UTA makes service reductions following staffing shortages
- Coronavirus Prevention
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- What can the Layton dog bite teach us about free speech?
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting