Logan nursing home employee rescues woman from burning bed
LOGAN — Nurse Kathy Price says she was just doing her job when she rescued a Rocky Mountain Care resident from a burning bed.
Price says her shift was nearly over, when co-workers reported smelling something strange. She walked down the hall to find smoke billowing out of resident Kathleen Lucherini’s room. Price did not wait to find a fire extinguisher, as she had been trained. Instead, she jumped into action.
“I knew if I left her there even longer, that she would be hurt,” says Price. “So, I just ran to her bed and pulled her up, and over the side of the bed and onto the ground.”
Price then dragged Lucherini to safety in the hallway. An employee using a fire extinguisher, the building’s ceiling sprinkler system, and firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire.
Kathleen’s son, Monte Lucherini, says what Price did was absolutely incredible.
“I think it was miraculous,” says Lucherini. “The more information I get, that the bed was on fire, and that Kathy lifted her out – I’m just so grateful.” He also praised the Rocky Mountain Care staff, saying they did exactly what they were supposed to.
The fire was confined just to the one room. The resident rescued from the bed was transported to a nearby hospital with only minor injuries.
Kathleen Lucherini was transported to a nearby hospital with only minor injuries. No other injuries were reported.
Fire officials say the bed caught fire after an electrical cord malfunction on an air conditioning unit in the room.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade, 7 dead
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- Deuel Creek Fire continues to burn, officials hopeful for more containment
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured