Man arrested in connection with deadly crash in Utah County
AMERICAN FORK – An elderly man is dead after police say a suspect led deputies on a chase that ended in a crash on State Street and 900 West.
The suspect slammed into another car, killing a passenger. The crash also resulted in a very busy intersection being shut down for hours as police conducted an investigation.
The situation started with a traffic stop on State Street near 500 East in American Fork. Investigators said the suspect drove away from the traffic stop and a Utah County Sheriff’s deputy followed. A witnesses named Warley Jones saw police vehicles following the suspect on I-15 in Lehi and noted the driver was not stopping.
“I thought, ‘Doesn’t he know he’s getting pulled over,’” Jones said.
Police said the suspect went back down to American Fork and ran a red light at the busy intersection on 900 West.
“The fleeing vehicle crashed into a white passenger car,” American Fork police Sergeant Josh Christensen said. “It was occupied by two elderly individuals, and elderly male, as a passenger, and an elderly female.”
The man died on the scene. The woman was taken to the hospital in good condition.
The suspect, identified as Trevor Pitcher from West Jordan, survived the crash in good condition.
Christensen said they’re still trying to figure out why he fled from police when he was originally stopped.
“We understand he’s got a history of fleeing from officers. We’re currently investigating possible impairment, at this time,” Christensen said.
After being released from the hospital, Pitcher was booked into the Utah County Jail on suspicion of manslaughter, evading police and reckless endangerment. Utah court records show Pitcher pleaded guilty to an assault charge in May.
Today’s Top Stories
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Former Utah Sen. Jake Garn to be honored with art tribute on Saturday
- Air Force unveils newest stealth bomber aircraft
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- US approves $380 million missile sale to Finland