Shooter’s motive for killing a man inside an LDS chapel still unclear
FALLON, NEVADA – Prosecutors in Nevada have officially charged the man with murder after a deadly shooting inside a chapel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. However, his motives are still unknown.
Along with the murder charge, Fallon Police Chief Kevin Gehman says John O’Connor was charged with battery with a deadly weapon and assault with a deadly weapon.
“He is being held in lieu of $1.05 million bond. Mister O’Connor is scheduled to be arraigned later this week,” Gehman says.
Police have gathered all the evidence they can from inside the chapel, plus, they found more evidence when thy searched O’Connor’s home.
Gehman says, “We did recover a handgun which was similar to the weapon described by witnesses and of the same caliber of the shell casings we found on the scene.”
What they don’t know is motive. Family members of the victim, Charlie’s “Bert” Miller, tell the Deseret News that Miller shook O’Connor’s hand before the meeting and even passed the sacrament to O’Connor minutes before the shooting.
“Really, at this point, we’re going to continue conduct interviews and do some follow-ups,” Gehman says.
Officers in Fallon have had run-ins with O’Connor in the past.
Gehman says, “There were two charges for domestic violence in 1992 and 1995, but they were both dismissed.”
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade, 7 dead
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- Deuel Creek Fire continues to burn, officials hopeful for more containment
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Highland Park parade shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder, state’s attorney says
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs