Amazon hiring event continues in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — Amazon holds another job fair Tuesday as they try to fill 1,500 new jobs. But will they have success finding enough workers in this booming economy?
The hiring fair is going on at the Hilton Salt Lake, 255 South West Temple, from August 7 to August 16 9am-4pm each day.
Some point out the starting wage being offered by Amazon is lower than the state average. But in this clip below, Nate McDonald with the Utah Department of Workforce services says you have to look beyond that.
McDonald says Utah’s unemployment is low, and some companies are struggling to find enough workers. Amazon wants to hire 1,500 for their new fulfillment center in the northwest quadrant of Salt Lake City..
McDonald says their coming in is bringing competition, which is good. He also points out that 25,000 people are actively looking for work in Salt Lake, Tooele and Davis counties, right around this area.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?