Utah Jazz to play regular season game in Mexico City in 2018-2019; reported to host Christmas game too
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah Jazz announced Tuesday it will play a regular season game against the Orlando Magic in Mexico City as part of the NBA Mexico City Games 2018.
It’s happening 🇲🇽#TakeNote
— Utah Jazz (@utahjazz) August 7, 2018
The game will be played at the Arena Cuiudad de Mexico City on Saturday December 15. The Magic will face the Chicago Bulls on Thursday December 13. The games will be broadcast on ESPN and NBA League Pass International.
“The Utah Jazz are excited to play in Mexico City and are proud to represent our fans and the NBA on a global stage,” said Utah Jazz president Steve Starks. “This will be our fourth time playing in Mexico and first time back in 15 years. Our organization thanks the NBA and the people of Mexico City for this unique opportunity.”
This will be the first time the Jazz play a regular season game in Mexico City. They last played in a preseason contest there in 2003 against the Dallas Mavericks.
The organization also hit the hardwood in the very beginning of the 1990-1991 season to play in Tokyo, Japan. The Jazz played two games against the Phoenix Suns winning one game and losing the other. Former University of Utah star Tom Chambers scored 38 points in the first game for the Suns in a victory. Karl Malone led the Jazz in the next game scoring 29 points and pulling down 14 rebounds in a 102-101 win for Utah.
This is the NBA’s third straight year taking NBA teams to play there.
“Returning to Mexico City for two regular season games this season reinforces our commitment to growing basketball in Mexico and Latin America,” said NBA commissioner Adam Silver. “NBA teams have been playing in Mexico for more than 25 years, and the Bulls, Jazz and Magic organizations are excited to continue the tradition of bringing the live game experience to our passionate Mexican fans.”
ESPN’s Chris Haynes also reported Tuesday the Jazz will host the Portland Trailblazers on Christmas Day. It will be the first game for the organization on the holiday since 1997 when it played the Houston Rockets.
Portland Trail Blazers will face the Utah Jazz on the road in one of the five Christmas Day games, league sources tell ESPN.
— Chris Haynes (@ChrisBHaynes) August 8, 2018
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Get Ready for Fun at the 2023 Bear Lake Monster Winterfest
- Utah safety officials, NAACP, react to death of Tyre Nichols
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered