PROVO — As fall training camp comes to a close, the decision on who is going to be BYU’s head quarterback is still undecided.
KSL Newsradio’s Mary Richards spoke with BYU football head coach, Kalani Sitake about the state of the team heading into the 2018-2019 season.
“I’m really excited to see our guys play. I’ve been really pleased with what they’ve done and how their coaches have worked with them in this fall camp,” said Sitake.
The Cougars are coming off an injury-ridden season, going 4-9 under second-year head coach, Sitake, setting his BYU record at 13-13 after ending the 2016 season 9-4.
The loss of starting quarterback Tanner Mangum, who ruptured his Achilles tendon during the team’s game against the Fresno State Bulldogs, affected the natural progression of familiarity within the offense, ultimately allowing sophomore Joe Critchlow to slide in and finish the season going 2-1.
“Last year we had a bunch of injuries. It’s put a bunch of guys on the field that probably weren’t expecting it but now it’s like, that could happen again,” said Sitake.
Even though Critchlow had a fairly strong performance to end the season, Offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes has openly stated that the QB race is between two guys — Tanner Mangum and freshman standout, Zach Wilson.
“I think they’ve had a good command of the offense and making great decisions. I’ve been actually really surprised and excited about the up-and-coming guys, too,” said Sitake
Zach Wilson who joined the Cougars in January has had his eyes set on the starting quarterback position since he was a sophomore at Corner Canyon High and has been impressing coaches during training camp with his athleticism and decision-making.
The starting position is set to be announced any day now as the team is scheduled to play the Arizona Wildcats on Sept. 1.
- Step-father of missing Idaho kids speaks to ABC (pageviews: 8872)
- A YouTuber's fancy Bali vacation sure looked nice. Nope, the photos were taken in an Ikea (pageviews: 4364)
- Costco bans non-members from their food court (pageviews: 3635)
- 7-year-old girl dies during tonsil surgery (pageviews: 3429)
- A timeline of the missing Idaho children (pageviews: 2878)
- Volunteer cuddle program helps babies in the NICU (pageviews: 1746)
- 5-year-old Millcreek boy hit and killed (pageviews: 1455)
- Fatal rollover near Salt Lake airport (pageviews: 1083)