Woman hit and killed on Redwood Road
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A woman is dead after being hit by a car on Redwood Road.
This happened around 9:30 Wednesday night near 40th South. West Valley police say the woman was not in a crosswalk when she tried to cross the busy street, and a car hit her.
“When somebody steps out into traffic, there’s a certain amount of time that’s required for someone to make a decision, recognize that problem, apply the brake or do some evasive driving, and I don’t think that was the case here,” said Sgt. Jason Johnson.
The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. Police say it does not appear speed, drugs or cell phone use were factors.
The section of road was closed for a few hours overnight as police investigated.
It is prompting a warning from police: “As school’s starting and summer’s winding down but still nice weather, lots of people out — for people to please slow down, drive carefully, put the phone away, pay attention to the driving,” said Sgt Johnson.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake City Police respond to five different incidents with weapons
- Draper City suing Geneva Rock, the mining company at Point of the Mountain
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Associated Food Stores name David Rice as its new CEO/President
- Utah rental prices continue to soar
- Utah homes have some of the highest levels of radon gas
- Paragliding crash in Milcreek leaves one in critical condition
- Motorhome crash in Idaho sends two Utahns to the hospital
- Intermountain Healthcare announces plans to build hospital in Ephraim