Six fires along I-80 from Tooele to Summit Counties may be linked
SUMMIT COUNTY – The person behind an arson fire in Summit County may be behind several more. Investigators say they believe there is a connection between the Trevels fire east of Echo Reservoir and five others along I-80 spanning from Tooele to Summit Counties.
Investigators looking at a possible link between 6 arson fires along I-80 that spanned from Tooele County to Summit County yesterday.
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) September 4, 2018
Declaring a blaze as an arson is not something investigators take lightly. Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands Spokesperson Leann Fox says, “There needs to be significant evidence for them to determine that it was intentionally started.”
Fox says witness statements and physical evidence seems to point in one direction.
“Based on evidence at the fires, witness information, and other factors, there seems to be a pretty strong tie between all six fires,” she adds.
Chuck Hadley has a property in the Echo Creek Ranches. He’s under a pre-evacuation order, an all he can do is wait to see if the fire spreads close to his home.
“Our concern is that the winds up here are really unpredictable,” Hadley says.
He believes evacuating his home will be extremely tricky if it’s ordered.
Hadley says, “What do you do? We’re two miles from the pavement. If they decide they’re going to evacuate, how are you going to get in there and get your stuff?”
The Trevels fire has charred 585 acres and is 25 percent contained.
Today’s Top Stories
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- UDOT wants public comments for proposed Orem expansion
- Woman charged in February fatal car crash in West Valley City
- Shoplifting leads to store closures
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office being sued after former cadet reports abuse
- Student loan forgiveness resolution on hold until 2023
- DPS offers apology to family of rape victim from more than 50 years ago
- Hawaii’s Mauna Loa is erupting for the first time since 1984
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman