Salt Lake mayor to join climate-change summit in California
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The mayor of Salt Lake City is attending a California summit dedicated to continuing the path to clean energy despite President Donald Trump’s withdrawal of the United States from the Paris climate agreement.
Mayor Jackie Biskupski will be among business leaders, mayors, governors and activists from around the world who are gathering in San Francisco Thursday for the Global Climate Action Summit.
Participants are expected pledge trillions of dollars in spending on cleaner energy and getting out of investments in heat-trapping fossil fuels, though a new United Nations report raises questions about how effective such promises have been.
Biskupski says Salt Lake feels the effects of climate change with low snowpack, drought conditions and wildfire smoke. She plans to join other mayors to sign the “Deadline 2020” pledge to reduce global emissions.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- The gas tax and education: a voter's guide to Q1
- Go green? A voter's guide to Prop 2
- Proposition 3: Medicaid expansion on the ballot
- A voter's guide to Proposition 4: redistricting in Utah
- Constitutional Amendment A: a Utah voter's guide
- Amendment B: property tax exemptions
- Amendment C: should lawmakers be able to convene themselves?