University of Utah inaugurates first woman president
SALT LAKE CITY — The first woman president of the University of Utah is officially on the job. Ruth V. Watkins, the U’s 16th president, was inaugurated this afternoon at Kingsbury Hall on the university’s campus.
— University of Utah (@UUtah) September 21, 2018
Watkins has served as the school’s unofficial president since April, but takes the job today in full. Prior to this posting, Watkins served five years as the senior vice president for Academic Affairs at the U, and 20 years before that at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in a range of faculty and leadership roles. Watkins says it’s an honor to lead a school like the U.
“We have proudly moved to the top tier of public universities in the country,” says Watkins. “Attracting world-class faculty who engage in groundbreaking research, and draw inquisitive, smart, creative students who are the change-makers, innovators, and leaders of our future.”
It has been a full day of excellent insights from thought leaders, including @SpencerJCox. Big thanks to @courtmcbeth for organizing today’s Inauguration Symposium. Excellent presentations on public universities and making a difference for our students and communities. #utpol pic.twitter.com/oxC0J0jR7a
— Ruth V. Watkins (@RuthVWatkins) September 20, 2018
Watkins took the opportunity to thank her supporters, and share her faith in the University of Utah’s vision.
“Our aim is simple. Every student who comes to the U will have an exceptional educational experience, and they will complete their degrees,” says Watkins.
Several university officials, students, and faculty shared their excitement about Watkins’ leadership — wishing her luck, and welcoming a new era at the University of Utah.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Off-duty officer with Salt Lake City Police arrested