Electric scooter catches fire in U of U building, relocates classes
SALT LAKE CITY — An electric scooter caught fire in a building at the University of Utah causing many classes to relocate Wednesday.
The University says the James E. Talmage Building is temporarily closed and updates about re-opening will soon be released.
A student’s personal scooter was parked in the hallway on the third floor when it suddenly caught fire, officials state.
Approximately 140 people were in the building at the time of the fire and immediately evacuated to safety while the Salt Lake Fire Department rapidly worked to put out the burn.
The fire damaged some floor tiles but did not cause any other damage to the building, the release states.
Utah Fire Marshal Clint Haymond said the fire looks like it was caused by the scooter’s “lithium-ion battery system.” The scooter was not being charged when it burst into flames.
Officials re-evaluated the building Thursday morning at 8 a.m. and have yet to release details about its re-opening.
Classes will resume on Thursday in specific locations provided by the University.
Today’s Top Stories
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- Biden to test run his reelection message in his first State of the Union to a divided Congress
- Rep. Stewart: Lessons to be learned from Chinese spy balloon, doubts it ever flew over Utah
- Lockout lifted for Hunter High and Hunter Elementary Schools
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- New bill could disrupt signature gathering path to Utah’s ballot