OPINION: Is Dr. Ford more credible than Judge Kavanaugh?
I decided to analyze what helps and what hurts the credibility of Judge Kavanaugh and Dr. Ford.
For instance, Dr. Ford came forward before Kavanaugh was even selected and when she described the incident, she didn’t overstate or attempt to dramatize what happened.
I also believe that if she were disingenuous, she would have made her hearing more of a spectacle and embellish the details for the TV audience.
However, there are some things that hurt her credibility as well.
Such as her inability to provide an accurate timeline of the situation and the fact that none of the witnesses she recalls being at the party can back up her story.
For Kavanaugh, I think he sounds more credible based on the fact that there are no witnesses to corroborate her story.
He kept a detailed calendar of events during this time of his life and there are people who can speak to his character that indicate Ford may have mistaken him for someone else.
On the other hand, I think that he tried to underplay the extent of his drinking during his college years and that he could guarantee that he never blacked out.
This is the challenge in addressing allegations from 36 years ago, in an era before social media and smartphones, wherein the lack of details create “he said, she said” situation that leaves a lot of grey area.
Jay Mcfarland hosts the JayMac News Show as well as the fictional podcast, Hosts of Eden. KSL Newsradio is part of Bonneville Media and based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Authorities swat down rumors surrounding unsolved killings of 4 University of Idaho students
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement