Man sues utility over electric shock
Oct 3, 2018, 9:26 AM | Updated: 9:35 am
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah man is suing Rocky Mountain Power, claiming he suffered an electric shock near Willard Bay even though he never touched a power line.
Cooper Bacon says he was operating his tow truck in the area four years ago when electricity came down from the high tension power lines above him and shocked him. His shoulder was on the drive shaft of the vehicle and his hip was touching the frame.
“I basically completed a circuit,” Bacon says.
“When I woke up, a couple of days later is when I realized I was in the hospital but I couldn’t talk and couldn’t really remember,” Bacon says.
He claims he hasn’t been able to go back to his old job ever since.
“I was just a normal 21-year-old before that,” he said, choking up. “I worked every day.”
Rocky Mountain Power officials can’t comment on the lawsuit, but a spokesperson, Spencer Hall, told KSL they’ve never seen anything like Bacon’s story happen before.
“We haven’t been able to recreate the conditions,” Hall says.
Bacon’s lawyer claims other people have been shocked in the area over the years at Willard Bay State Park. She says she is in the process of looking for other people who have suffered injury.