‘A Star is Born’ and ‘Venom’ set to face off this weekend
The box office battle is already revving up this weekend as “A Star is Born” and “Venom” prepare to duel for the top slot.
Both the most recent remake of “A Star is Born,” and the first film in Sony’s Marvel Universe, “Venom” are opening nationwide, with much anticipation from their respective fan bases.
Praise for “A Star is Born”
“A Star is Born” is the third remake of the 1937 classic and tells the story of a musician who helps a young singer and actress find fame, as age and alcoholism sends his own career into a downward spiral.
The film stars Bradley Cooper, in his directorial debut, with Lady Gaga co-starring as the struggling but gifted artist and critics are already praising the film with a “Certified Fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes, as well as preliminary Oscar buzz for Best Picture.
“Venom’s” lack of bite
The remake faces off with “Venom,” Sony’s first standalone film about the super-anti-hero character, which takes place in the adjunct to Marvel Cinematic Universes.
Directed by Ruben Fleischer and starring Academy Award nominee Tom Hardy, the movie is about an investigative journalist who accidentally becomes the host of an alien symbiote, giving him a violet, superpowered alter-ego and the opportunity to protect the world from a shady organization.
Critics are already offering the film a mix of lackluster reviews while praising Hardy’s performance and acknowledging the shows darker, yet funny humor.
The real winners this weekend
Audiences for both films are excited with 90% and above “want to see” scores on Rotten Tomatoes and some projections estimate that the movies will shatter October Box office records.
Some controversy has arisen this week though.
It’s been discovered that some of Lady Gaga fans have been planting fake reviews for “Venom” online to persuade moviegoers to attend “A Star is Born” instead of the Marvel film.
Whichever film takes the number one spot on the charts this weekend, it’s the fans who will be left winning as they flock to their own fandoms flicks.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries