Potholes, weather cause big traffic headaches
SALT LAKE CITY — Commuters faced major headaches in virtually every direction along the Wasatch Front on Wednesday morning, as rain, snow and potholes combined with accidents to snarl traffic.
So. Many. Traffic. Problems. Right now still have ramp closed from SB I-15 to EB I-80, cleanup of crashes on Bangerter Hwy in WJ, Redwood Rd in Bluffdale & plows trying to keep I-80 clear in Parley’s Canyon. I-80 CLOSED in Wyoming, east of Evanston. pic.twitter.com/JnKwqlE1YN
— KSL Traffic Center (@KSLTraffic) October 10, 2018
A tractor-trailer hauling frozen food crashed and caught fire near the “Spaghetti Bowl,” closing the ramp from southbound I-15 to eastbound I-80, while also creating delays on the other highways that crisscross in that area. The ramp from eastbound S.R. 201 to eastbound I-80 was also closed. Crews were hoping to re-open those ramps after 9 a.m.
Utah Highway Patrol troopers were investigating the cause of that crash.
Officials said the driver and a co-driver were able to exit the truck before it became fully engulfed in flames, though the driver was taken to a local hospital with injuries.
In Lehi, the Utah Department of Transportation announced it was conducting rolling freeway closures along southbound I-15, as the rainy weather appeared to have caused potholes in sections of older pavement. Drivers experienced delays from Timpanogos Highway to 2100 North in Lehi while repairs were underway.
We are aware of potholes in @LehiCity on SB 1-15. Crews are implementing rolling closures to make repairs. This appears to be an issue with rain on the old sections pavement. Please use caution when traveling through that area. https://t.co/h78Aae6ZeM
— Utah DOT (@UtahDOT) October 10, 2018
State troopers were helping drivers whose tires were flattened as a result of the sudden, unexpected appearance of those potholes.
In addition to those two major trouble spots, I-80 is closed completely just east of Evanston, Wyoming. Crews were also responding to crashes on Bangerter Highway in West Jordan and Redwood Road in Bluffdale. Additionally, UDOT plows were working to clear I-80 of snow in Parleys Canyon.
— UDOT Region Two (@UDOTRegionTwo) October 10, 2018
Emergency traffic updates are available every 10 minutes on KSL Newsradio 102.7 FM and 1160 AM, at KSLNewsradio.com and on the KSL Newsradio app. You can also check your commute times on the KSL traffic page.
Contributing: Becky Bruce, Andy Farnsworth
Today’s Top Stories
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Moscow police say 6th person on lease isn’t involved in Idaho homicides
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Suspect in I-15 shooting named, booked into jail
- Back-to-back winter storms bring heavy snow, critical fire conditions to the West
- SuperAgers — who are they, are you one, and can you become one?
- Fiercely self-sufficient Hell’s Backbone cafe owners turn to public for help