Toxic scare forces evacuation of council meeting
TORREY — The Wayne County Sheriff’s Office says the Torrey Town Hall had to be evacuated after a man created a “hazmat” situation by bringing a toxic substance to a town council meeting.
Thursday night, officials say the man entered the town council meeting with a substance believed to be some kind of pesticide. In a statement, Wayne County spokeswoman Kassidee Brown says the substance spilled at some point during the meeting, and a Wayne County Sheriff’s deputy evacuated the building.
Everyone who was attending the town council meeting was decontaminated for possible exposure as a precaution. At least three people were taken to Sevier Valley Hospital in Richfield for observation because they came into direct contact with the substance.
Brown says the man who brought the substance to the meeting was taken into custody after being decontaminated and taken to the hospital. He has only been identified as a town resident.
Hazmat crews checked his home for other possible hazards, which they did not find, and it “was cleared for crime scene processing,” Brown said in a statement.
Torrey Town Hall will remain closed until cleanup is finished and crews can determine that it is safe to be inside.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement
- Suspect in I-15 shooting named, booked into jail
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral