Homeowner shoots, kills intruder in Orem
OREM — Police say a suspected intruder who was shot and wounded by an Orem homeowner has died at the hospital.
Officers say the homeowner found the stranger in the garage of his house near 400 North and 800 West in Orem.
Police say the homeowner fired several shots. The person who was shot, who was identified as a 49-year-old man, was taken to the hospital in critical condition, where he later died.
The suspect from the incident this morning has passed away. We are still in the process of notifying his family.
— Orem Police Dept. (@OremDPS) October 15, 2018
A large area around the home remained blocked off by caution tape hours after it happened.
Police say a man heard someone in his garage around 7 AM, and he went back inside and grabbed a small caliber handgun.
“There was a confrontation and a scuffle, and the homeowner shot the suspect several times in the abdomen,” said Orem Police Lt Craig Martinez.
Officers say a family with kids was in the home at the time.
“I know people will have questions about charges or no charges, but it is too early to comment on that,” said Martinez. “We are just barely starting our investigation.”
Officers are now looking at what he was doing in the garage, and if he had been in other garages or homes on the street.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Man wanted for leaving a dead fish at ‘The Goonies’ house saved by Coast Guard…
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…