Suspect arrested in Riverton SWAT standoff
RIVERTON — Police have one man in custody after what they’re describing as a standoff with SWAT officers in Riverton, near 12600 S. and Mountain View Corridor.
One man has been arrested after a standoff with SWAT officers in Riverton. Police say he barricaded himself behind three doors in his apartment, and was talking about “suicide by cop.” pic.twitter.com/GLpR5oAiJX
— Paul Nelson (@KSLPaul) October 29, 2018
The Legacy Springs Apartment complex is in that area, along with a number of single-family homes.
According to police, the man had barricaded himself behind three doors inside an apartment at that location and was talking about “suicide by cop.”
Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera told KSL Newsradio the SWAT team had to breach the doors to gain entrance and talk to the man and take him into custody. According to Rivera, the situation began with a domestic violence call.
“He was involved in a domestic violence situation yesterday,” Rivera says. “That was yesterday. And today, we received a call that he was here, suicidal.”
Rivera says police were initially told the man, who is 23-years-old, had a firearm but learned later there was a possibility that family members had taken the weapon away from him.
Today’s Top Stories
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- US added a strong 517,000 jobs in January despite Fed hikes
- SLCPD arrest two people in connection to a Wednesday shooting
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips
- Bill would require buildings to post signs for events meant for adults
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Credit union will pay for larger dog adoptions this weekend