Voters and candidates are hot under the collar after a mass text was sent while they were in church
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah GOP says a text sent by The Independent Republicans of Utah could be a Federal Elections Violation. And they promised to look in to it today.
The mass text was sent yesterday while many people were in church. It reads “The Independent Republicans of Utah want you to know: you won’t be excommunicated for voting for Dem Ben McAdams-he’s the best Republican in the race.”
The McAdams campaign immediately issued a statement saying the text did not come from them and that “as and active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the Mayor respects the Church’s long-standing neutrality in political races and would never imply their involvement.”
Mia Love tweeted this response to the text from IRU:
Just when I thought this election cycle couldn’t get worse, my 15 year old who can’t even vote got this while at church. This is inappropriate. pic.twitter.com/CtF2lCJC7p
— Mia Love (@MiaBLove) November 4, 2018
Information on the group “The Independent Republicans of Utah” could not be found on-line and it’s not known if the motive of the text was to try to increase votes for Ben McAdams or to cast his campaign in a negative light.
Mail in ballots must be postmarked by today, November 5th. Or you can vote in person Tuesday, November 6th.
Visit vote.utah.gov for more information.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- More than 3,400 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Is illness or poor air quality causing that cough?