Two officer-involved shootings end in fatalities
SALT LAKE CITY — Two separate officer-involved shootings in Ogden and Salt Lake City left two men dead on Friday.
Christopher William Parrish, 33, was shot by Ogden Police Department officers after fleeing a traffic stop. Police chief Randy Watt said that officers pulled Parrish over as he exited the parking lot of a Walmart after receiving reports from other customers that Parrish was being “manic and threatening.” According to Watt, Parrish gave vague details after being pulled over before driving away, crashing his car and attempting to flee on foot. When officers pursued him, Watt said Parrish picked up a rock, turned and “rapidly and violently attacked” the two officers.
In a press conference Saturday afternoon, Watt said both officers attempted to use their tasers on Parrish, but he continued to attack, forcing both officers to fire their guns. Neither officer was injured.
As is standard procedure, both officers have been placed on paid administrative leave. An internal affairs investigation and a police shooting review by the Weber County Attorney’s Office are both pending, Watt said.
Cody Belgard, 30, died after being shot by police near 800 N. Sir Michael Drive in Salt Lake City. Police told KSL TV that no officers were injured, and that Belgard was taken to the hospital in critical condition before dying from his injuries.
According to Salt Lake police Sgt. Brandon Shearer, the West Valley City Police Department will be leading the investigation of the shooting. The Salt Lake City Police department will also conduct an internal investigation, although Shearer did not elaborate on why.
This is a developing story. More information will be added as it becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement
- Suspect in I-15 shooting named, booked into jail
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral