OPINION:The biggest GoFundMe scam is worse than you thought
The biggest GoFundMe scam is worse than you thought!
Everyone loves a feel-good story and the recent one about the homeless man who gave a stranded woman his last $20 for gas was about as heart-warming as it gets. It only got better to hear that the woman and her boyfriend started a GoFundMe page to help the good Samaritan which raised nearly $400,000. That made it disappointing when the man, Johnny Bobbitt, sued the couple, Mark D’Amico and Katelyn McClure, claiming they never gave him the money; instead, spending it on cars and lavish vacations.
Now it looks like the whole story may be a lie. It was a scam and I am mad!
Burlington County, N.J. prosecutor Scott Coffina says criminal charges have been filed against all three for conspiring to defraud people with the fictitious story. While GoFundMe has promised to refund everyone who donated to the campaign, I worry that this could discourage people from being charitable. There are plenty of people in need and worthwhile causes that deserve support. We should help them. This may just be a good reminder to look at where you are donating your money to make sure it is being used the way you intended.
Jay Mcfarland hosts the JayMac News Show as well as the fictional podcast, Hosts of Eden. KSL Newsradio is part of Bonneville Media and based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Today’s Top Stories
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Thousands of dead fish are washing up along a California river. It’s because of a…
- Low water levels at Utah Lake cause restrictions for Daybreak
- UPDATE: Flood advisory for portions of Salt Lake Valley and Davis County
- Utah company, Lions Not Sheep ordered to cease “made in USA” claims
- UPDATE: Flooding, road closures, and power outages in SLC
- The mysterious companies behind Costco’s Kirkland Signature and Trader Joe’s O’s
- Utah Highway Patrol responds to head-on crash on U.S Highway 6
- Top scientist admits ‘space telescope image’ was actually a slice of chorizo
- Man steals excavator and starts ripping up the ground, breaks water line