Utah public school enrollment reaches nearly 660K
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s public school enrollment is growing, and the state says student diversity is growing, too.
In the Utah State Board of Education’s 2018 numbers, the public school student population rose by 7,561 this year to 659,909, making up a fifth of the Beehive State’s overall population.
A quarter of those students are students of color, reflecting a 2.7-percent increase from 2017. Seventeen percent identify as Hispanic, and 3% as multiracial.
Seven percent are learning English as a second language.
One-third of public school students identify as economically disadvantaged and 12-percent have learning disabilities.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?