SALT LAKE CITY — Utah has the worst gender wage gap in the country according to the U.S. Census but a new best practices manual hopes to help businesses and women bridge that divide.
Patricia Jones, CEO of the Women’s Leadership Institute says that the gender wage gap doesn’t appear to be deliberate, “I don’t think anyone of us knows one person who would purposely try to pay a woman less than a man for the same job.”
She says women should start negotiating for higher pay and businesses should better track payrolls.
Boeing Salt Lake General Manager, Laura Bogush, also weighed in, noticing that women need more mentors, “At this point in my career, I really recognize the importance of putting myself out there and being willing to let others see themselves in what I do, and who I am,” she said.
The new Salt Lake Chamber manual also stressed the importance of the economy and the fact that it needs better-trained workers of both sexes for everyone to benefit properly.
- Zombie raccoons in Provo? A warning from Provo PD... (pageviews: 20563)
- Friday: School delays and closures (pageviews: 14286)
- Long-time Jazz Bear speaks out for first time since firing (pageviews: 9400)
- 76,000 Utahns need gold star on driver's license (pageviews: 4255)
- Listen (pageviews: 3800)
- Snowmobile accident claims life of former Wasatch County rescuer (pageviews: 1871)
- Win $500 in Gas 3X a Day! (pageviews: 1481)
- Thousands of Gold Star IDs returned to DPS. Is yours one of them? (pageviews: 1355)
- Painted owl angers Utah wildlife officials (pageviews: 885)