Shireen Ghorbani to run for Salt Lake County Mayor
Recent congressional candidate Shireen Ghorbani formally announced her candidacy for Salt Lake County Mayor on Saturday.
Ghorbani declared her interest to voting members of the Utah Democratic Party Central Committee, who will select congressman-elect Ben McAdams’ replacement.
“I felt very strongly that the Central Committee members should know first,” Ghorbani said in a press release. “I have not been ‘considering” whether or not to run for county mayor, I knew the minute the results for Ben McAdams were final that I would run.”
Ghorbani, who won 67% of Salt Lake County in her 2018 Congressional bid for Utah’s District 2 seat, also announced her candidacy on twitter yesterday.
Excited to share I am running for Salt Lake County Mayor. #SaltLakeCounty needs a leader with a vision for the future. I look forward to sharing my vision in detail over the course of this campaign. https://t.co/ysQMZ8Qo7P
— Shireen Ghorbani (@ShireenGhorbani) December 1, 2018
Ghorbani said she believes county government is an ideal venue to execute her campaign values.
“County government is where the rubber meets the road,” she wrote in a press release. “So many of the issues that impact our everyday lives start at a local, county level: access to healthcare, economic growth, affordable housing, keeping our neighborhoods safe and our open spaces open. I want to build on the progress we’ve seen at the county and move forward with new ideas and enthusiasm.”
Q. Dang, chairman of the Salt Lake Democratic Party, said he hopes to hold the special election on February 2, 2019. McAdams’ replacement will serve the two remaining years of his term.
Today’s Top Stories
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Schools, commute delayed by early morning lake effect snow
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Tracking snowplows in SLC
- US-Iran match reflects a regional rivalry for many Arab fans
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- What to do after a fender bender in snowy weather?
- Emergency snow preparation will prove vital this winter