BYU confirms student dies after falling from campus building
PROVO – A spokesman for Brigham Young University confirmed a student has died after falling from a building on campus earlier this week.
Campus Spokesman Todd Hollingshead says the fall from the fourth floor of an atrium of the Tanner Building was a death by suicide.
Questions are being raised about the availability of counseling at BYU after the death by suicide of a student earlier this week. Hollingshead says there’s a shortage of therapists and it may take three to four weeks for a student to get an appointment.
“We have a counselor that’s also available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year,” Hollingshead said.
Even with that service, one student wrote a note that was left on the door of the counseling center following the woman’s death which pointed to the need for more help. The letter also spread quickly on social media.
“This is important for us to hear,” Hollingshead said. “It’s a challenge that we’re facing, that institutions are facing as well.”
He says there is a proposal that is moving forward to try and get more counselors available. In the mean time, current counselors are working hard to support the students. They also have service available for those who saw or were affected by the woman’s fall.
“We have those counselors in place and they’re working around the clock, especially this week,” Hollingshead said. “To help as many students as possible.”
If you or anyone you know is contemplating or having thoughts of suicide, please call 1-800-273-TALK. That’s 1-800-273-8255.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Off-duty officer with Salt Lake City Police arrested