PROVO — The BYU Cougars scored a big win on Wednesday night over the Utah State Aggies 95-80 at the Mariott Center.
A 19 point BYU lead dwindled in the opening minutes of the 2nd half before junior guard TJ Haws broke it open.
Haws is averaging 16 PPG on 17.2 attempts this season playing 33.3 minutes per game performing better statistically in almost every category.
The Aggies would threaten to cut the lead to single digits before a big Nick Emery steal late in the 2nd half in his comeback game after withdrawing from school last year and serving a nine-game suspension for accepting improper benefits.
PLAY OF THE GAME
— BYU Basketball (@BYUbasketball) December 6, 2018
Coach Dave Rose says was hoping two recent disappointing road losses in a row at Illinois State and at Weber State would light a fire under the Cougars.
“Of all the things I thought would happen here tonight, I didn’t think that we were going to be playing with a 20-point lead most of the night,” Rose said. “That’s just credit to our guys.”
BYU forward Yoeli Childs scored 31-points on 61-FG% and had a career-high 5 steals, in a year that has seen Childs excel after given a more prominent place in the Cougar offense.
The Utes and the Cougars tip-off Saturday at 12-noon.
- Amber Alert issued for missing six-year-old child (pageviews: 4037)
- Amber Alert issued for missing six-year-old child | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 3481)
- Man arrested after two Latter-day Saint missionaries stabbed in Texas | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1468)
- Neffs Fire still burning in Salt Lake County | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1257)
- Coronavirus Tracker (pageviews: 1160)
- Body of a woman found in South Salt Lake Monday (pageviews: 853)
- (not set) (pageviews: 744)
- Neffs Fire still burning in Salt Lake County (pageviews: 740)