Petition seeks to change Deadpool poster
SALT LAKE CITY – Thousands of people are signing an online petition over a movie poster.
The promotional poster for “Once Upon a Deadpool” looks just like a famous painting known to many in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In the original Anderson painting, Christ is at the center surrounded by angels. In the poster, Deadpool is in the center.
Tuesday night, 25,000 people had signed the change.org petition. By Wednesday afternoon, it was over 31,000 signatures.
The petitioners are requesting that 20th Century Fox change the poster: “It is unknown if the picture was used to intentionally mock the Church of Jesus Christ, but it is clear it was copied from the original picture. This is a form a religious discrimination. We ask that the picture be not used or posted in any manner.”
Famous images are frequently copied in “memes” or for parody, but copyright law does not always cover the use of a copyrighted image for commercial gain.
Today’s Top Stories
- Double stabbing sends grandmother and grandson to the hospital
- Semifinalists for the new Utah flag design unveiled
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Paragliding crash in Milcreek leaves one in critical condition
- New fire breaks out on Y Mountain in Provo
- Former U.S. Attorney for Utah talks about what FBI can take off your cellphone
- Home prices in Salt Lake City harbinger of a national trend?
- Crash in Vernon closes Highway 36
- BYU student and youngest-ever Survivor contestant says he’s confident he will win
- Be on lookout for suspicious vehicle in Nephi