Layton man hospitalized after rock crashes through windshield
OGDEN — A Layton man is in critical condition after a rock weighing more than 150 lbs. crashed through the windshield of his truck on Saturday afternoon.
The man, 57, was driving through the Pineview Dam Spillway area of Ogden Canyon when the rock fell through his front windshield and came to rest in the back seat, according to the Weber County Sheriff’s Office. The man then lost control of his vehicle and crashed into the mountainside, sustaining injuries that required his hospitalization in critical condition.
The man’s wife, who was riding in the passenger seat, received minor injuries.
Lt. Cortney Ryan of the Weber County Sheriff’s Office said that the rock likely fell from the cliff area as a result of the recent snow and warmer temperatures, which may have helped dislodge it. According to Ryan, a sheriff’s deputy responding to the incident had his truck hit by falling rocks as well.
The Utah Department of Transportation closed the spillway for about an hour and a half after the incident, said Sheriff’s Sgt. Stephanie Tatton, both to allow any other loose rocks to fall and to clean up the debris. UDOT crews successfully cleaned all the fallen rocks from the pavement.
Today’s Top Stories
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- Two Utah experts talk about prisoner swap for WNBA player Brittney Griner
- Update: Some I-15 lanes reopen after hazmat spill in Bluffdale
- Families of Hunter High shooting victims unhappy with plea deal
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- West Jordan Elementary School is closing its gates after 40 years
- Sundance Film Festival is seeking volunteers for 2023 event
- Members of the council explain the Salt Lake County library tax
- SWAT standoff in Tooele ends peacefully, no further threat to public