Victim identified in fatal St. George shooting
UPDATE 12/30, 7:30 PM: The victim has been identified as Spencer Maluafiti Tafua, 44. Tafua was a father of four and graduate of Pine View High School in St. George.
“This senseless crime has left four children without a father and so many others hurting. Spencer was a friend to and loved by everyone. He will be remembered for his huge smile and kind heart. Spencer was a hero to his four children and all of his friends. He was a protector to all of those whom he cared about,” reads a GoFundMe fundraiser set up to cover Tafua’s medical and funeral expenses.
Police have also released the name of the man charged with Tafua’s murder. Bronson Joseph Flynn, 26, was arrested for investigation of murder, two counts of aggravated assault, DUI, exhibition of weapons, possession of drug paraphernalia and carrying a weapon while under the influence.
A fight that started in the parking lot of the One and Only Bar (64 N 800 E) in St. George ended with a fatal shooting early this morning. A news release on the St. George Police Facebook page says the victim was a 34-year-old male. He received first aid at the scene, but died later at Dixie Regional Medical Center.
A 26-year-old suspect was arrested at the scene. He’s in jail now on charges including homicide, aggravated assault and possession of a weapon by a restricted person.
KSL Newsradio’s Dan Bammes has the story.
Today’s Top Stories
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Frigid temperatures delaying some school start times
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Man suspected of kidnapping and beating a woman in Oregon may be using dating apps to evade police
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Trump says he’s ‘more angry’ and ‘more committed’ to White…
- Schools, commute delayed by early morning lake effect snow
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead