Leonard scores career-high 45, Raptors beat Jazz 122-116
TORONTO (AP) — Kawhi Leonard scored a career-high 45 points, Pascal Siakam had a career-best 28 points with 10 rebounds, and the Toronto Raptors beat the Utah Jazz 122-116 on Tuesday night.
Norman Powell scored a season-high 14 points, and the Raptors won their fourth straight at home.
Jae Crowder scored a career-high 30 points, Derrick Favors had 21 and Donovan Mitchell scored 19 as the Jazz dropped to 10-12 on the road and 18-20 overall.
Utah’s Rudy Gobert scored 16 points, and Ricky Rubio had 14.
Leonard made all seven of his field-goal attempts in the third quarter and added five foul shots. His 19 points were the second most in any quarter by a Raptors player this season. Serge Ibaka scored 20 points in the first quarter of a Nov. 4 road win against the Los Angeles Lakers.
Leonard shot 16 for 22 overall, missing all three attempts from 3-point range. He went 13 for 17 at the free-throw line.
After making two 3-pointers in the first half, the Raptors connected on their first three long-range shots of the third quarter, turning a two-point halftime deficit into a 12-point edge midway through the quarter. Siakam went 3 for 3 from 3-point range in the third and scored 13 points. Toronto outscored Utah 44-32 to take a 95-85 lead into the fourth.
Toronto guard Kyle Lowry sat for the eighth time in nine games because of a sore lower back. Before the game, the Raptors said Lowry had travelled to New York last Friday to receive anti-inflammatory injections.
Rubio started after sitting out Saturday’s win over New York because of a sore left knee and sore lower back, while Crowder was back after missing the victory over the Knicks because of a sore left thumb.
Leonard scored 10 points in the first quarter, and all five Raptors starters made at least one basket as Toronto led 26-24 after one.
Jazz: Utah has lost nine of 12 meetings against Toronto. … Utah outscored Toronto 22-5 in second-chance points. … Favors and Gobert each had nine rebounds. … Crowder went 5 for 7 from 3-point range. His career high is six made 3-pointers.
Raptors: Toronto is 5-2 on New Year’s Day, including a 4-0 mark at home. … C Jonas Valanciunas had stitches removed from his surgically repaired left hand Saturday. Valanciunas still has a splint on his hand. … VanVleet scored seven points, failing to reach double figures for the first time in eight games. … Toronto matched a season-low with 20 3-point attempts.
Jazz: Visit Cleveland on Friday night.
Raptors: Visit San Antonio on Thursday night.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- Those who practice intermittent fasting less likely to have severe COVID complications,…
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- UDOT to temporarily close Cottonwood Heights I-215 bridge for restoration
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- Missing girls from South Jordan found near San Diego
- Anonymous man pays 12-person dinner bill at Bandit’s Grill and Bar