Police announce arrest in a fatal hit-and-run crash
SALT LAKE CITY — Police have announced the arrest of a suspect accused of a hit-and-run crash that resulted in the death of cyclist Tot Nguyen. Investigators say 36-year-old Sotero Valerio Torres faces charges of hitting the 72-year-old victim at an intersection near 400 South 1033 West about 6 p.m. Tuesday.
Police say the car Valerio was driving continued without stopping, and police had been on the lookout for a white car, possibly a Nissan believed involved.
The Salt Lake Police Department tweeted that they were glad to have made an arrest and thankful for the hard work detectives put in bringing in a suspect.
Thanks to the hard work of our CAR team, Sotero Valero 36 yrs old was #booked into #jail for crimes related to the H&R involving victim Tot Nguyen. We are thankful for the hard work the detectives put in to make an arrest in this case.
— SLC Police Dept. (@slcpd) January 24, 2019
A witness says he almost hit Nguyen before Valerio did. Investigators say it is unclear whether or not Nguyen was wearing reflective clothing.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips
- Court says gun law targeting domestic violence suspects is unconstitutional