Church: missionary serving in Portugal has died
LISBON, Portugal — A missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in the Portugal Lisbon mission has died.
Elder Joao Victor Rodrigues Gondim, 20, had been serving in the Lisbon mission since July 2017. Church leaders say he was from Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Church Spokesman Daniel Woodruff said that Elder Gondim passed away Monday after collapsing during a soccer game with other missionaries serving in Portugal. The cause of his death is unknown.
In a statement, the church said:
Our hearts go out to his family as they mourn his passing. We pray they will feel peace and support during this difficult time. The Church is working to provide counseling to those missionaries who witnessed this tragedy.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father and son found dead inside West Jordan home
- Former Utah Royals owner and coach named in women’s soccer abuse investigation
- Pedestrian killed on NB I-15 in Ogden, another in critical condition
- Cottonwood High School wins football game in bizarre fashion
- Judge dismisses lawsuit alleging OB-GYN sexually assaulted over 100 women
- Intermountain Healthcare and Zipline launch drone delivery service
- Man in possession of fentanyl pills, heroin arrested at SLC airport
- September was the hottest month in Salt Lake City and it wasn’t close
- Evan McMullin sues super PAC, three Utah news stations for defamatory ad
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs