Nanny accused of abusing 5-month-old girls turns herself in
WEST JORDAN — Police say a 20-year-old nanny accused of abusing twin five-month-old girls has turned herself in and is now cooperating with detectives in the case.
Police said McKenna Newell was caught on a nanny cam abusing the twin babies while their parents were at work.
Newell is accused of throwing a blanket over the babies while they were crying, causing one of them to struggle to get the cover off. Officers say she also kicked them several times, including one child in the leg and ribs, and covered their noses and mouths with her hand, and shook them.
The footage apparently shows Newell putting one of the girls on a couch, which caused the baby’s head to “aggressively bounce forward,” police said.
Police issued a $75,000 warrant for Newell’s arrest, and say she turned herself in without incident.
Today’s Top Stories
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Supreme Court limits EPA in curbing power plant emissions
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- Party ban becomes permanent for Airbnb
- Jackson sworn in, becomes 1st Black woman on Supreme Court