Nanny accused of abusing 5-month-old girls turns herself in
WEST JORDAN — Police say a 20-year-old nanny accused of abusing twin five-month-old girls has turned herself in and is now cooperating with detectives in the case.
Police said McKenna Newell was caught on a nanny cam abusing the twin babies while their parents were at work.
Newell is accused of throwing a blanket over the babies while they were crying, causing one of them to struggle to get the cover off. Officers say she also kicked them several times, including one child in the leg and ribs, and covered their noses and mouths with her hand, and shook them.
The footage apparently shows Newell putting one of the girls on a couch, which caused the baby’s head to “aggressively bounce forward,” police said.
Police issued a $75,000 warrant for Newell’s arrest, and say she turned herself in without incident.
Today’s Top Stories
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Suspect in Wednesday’s I-15 shooting is named, booked into jail
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Semi rollover on Legacy Highway reduces traffic to one lane
- US economy added a robust 263,000 jobs in November
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- Storm bringing wind and snow to northern Utah