Scott Buck – Diamond Fork Junior High School
When Garret Bardsley was lost he was going to be a student at Spanish Fork Middle School(changed to Diamond Fork Junior High). His parents wanted to build a school in a South American country in his name and so Spanish Fork Middle School wanted to help. Mr. Buck, an English teacher, took on the project. He was told that two thousand dollars would be all they could raise. But he is the type of teacher that goes above and beyond. He inspired the students, faculty, community and even people from out of town to donate money to this very heart felt and worthy cause. In the end, over $21,000 was raised for the Bardsley school. Mr. Buck took no credit for this accomplishment and humbly says “We have great kids at this school.” His inspiration doesn’t stop there. Every November he is at it again but for the Utah Food Bank. When he finishes the food drive the school donates over 20,000 pounds of food. The men from the food bank have said they can’t believe the amount of food that comes from that one school. This is all stuff Mr. Buck does for the whole school, but the things he does in his classroom are changing the lives of his students. He teaches English with an emphasis on real life. This is what really makes a difference. I have never known a teacher to care as much or encourage his students as much as he does. His approach helps kids want to make something of their own lives and the lives of others.
I whole heartedly nominate Mr. Buck at Diamond Fork Junior High for the Teacher Feature award.
Today’s Top Stories
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Air Force unveils newest stealth bomber aircraft
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse