Andrea Green – Scera Park Elementary
Miss Green is an exemplary teacher with an extraordinary ability to reach each student in her class! I have seen her do some amazing things over the years, but this year she has been even more exceptional. This year she has a special-needs student who has been repeatedly hospitalized due to a severe seizure disorder. She has an uncertain future, due to the unpredictability of her condition. Miss Green overheard this little girl talking with her mother at the end of the day after receiving a note about a Disneyland offer for special ticket rates. The little girl thought it was a real ticket for Disneyland, and the mother had to explain to her daughter that they wouldn’t be able to go to Disneyland. (She has had very high medical expenses.) Overhearing this conversation broke Miss Green’s heart! She immediately decided that she would find a way to make this little girl’s wish come true. She organized a fundraiser, and teachers, friends, and neighbors donated to a surprise fund for this little girl. Andrea collected enough money to fly the girl and her family to California, rent them a car and hotel, buy Disneyland tickets, and even have “Disney Dollars” to spend in the park! Her own father bought a camera for the family to take pictures of their vacation. Miss Green organized a special assembly for this little girl, where the entire school sang Disney songs… especially “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes.” She had Cinderella come out to invite a special student to come to Disneyland with her family to meet Mickey Mouse. Miss Green had made Disney baskets of T-shirts and stuffed animals for the 3 kids in the family, and a basket with the camera, tickets, and cash for the parents. It was the most extraordinary show of love and concern for one sweet student that I have ever seen a teacher make! Miss Green is a fabulous teacher who teaches the curriculum, but more importantly, she notices the special needs of her students and does everything in her power to help them. She is very deserving of the Teacher Feature Award!
Today’s Top Stories
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral